Media for Teaching
The following list includes various resources that may be useful for teaching (compiled by Kelly Campbell, Natalie Hengstebeck, and Cheryl Harasymchuk).
- List of resources, organized by topic
- Video clips for interpersonal communication (courtsey of Brian Spitzberg)
- ScienceOfRelationships.com (teaching resources)
Other resources (compiled by Cheryl Harasymchuk):
- Audio clips from the show This American Life (these audio clips provided an effective, off-beat way to introduce a relationship topic)
- How to win friends and influence people (9 minutes)
- Frenemies (7 minutes)
- Gender differences in love - View from the Other Half
- Inside the Romance Industry
- Valentines Day
Relationally-Oriented TED Talks from IARR Members:
(slides available here: http://prezi.com/2pnmdrxknci8)
Beginning of Relationships
- When Harry Met Sally is my go-to movie for sparking conversations about friendship between men and women in class. I especially love the little clips of the older couples describing how they first met:
- Before Sunrise has some fantastic scenes illustrating attraction and intimacy growth through self-disclosure.
End of Relationships
- Blue Valentine provides a great example of relationship dissolution:
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind – the premise of the movie is about a fictional company that removes memories of ex-partners.
- Take this Waltz provides example of the dissolution of a relationship:
*Note: These movies are not PG and so might not be suitable for all classes.*
Note: The IARR Teaching Committee assembled this list of media resources. If we have omitted a resource you consider relevant to a topic, please email firstname.lastname@example.org